Head Above Water

Oh, No!

I have made a terrible, fateful discovery. My beloved Christmas fish tank, which I (and my trusty fish guy Cameron at Lafayette’s Aquarium World) have stocked with a beautiful array of South American schooling fish, Spike the albino plecostomus, freshwater shrimp, and natural plants, has sprung a leak. It is a slow leak, but it has soaked through the cork pad we placed underneath the tank. It may have actually been slowly leaking from day one . . . we just thought it was a symptom of dry winter air that it seemed to evaporate so quickly.

Anyway, this surprise Christmas present has turned into something I really enjoy, and I’ve invested a lot more in time, consideration, and funds than the original “fishty,” so my solution will require a trip to Aquarium World this week, Saturday at the latest (which wouldn’t be bad, because my sister who also has a Christmas fish tank is coming to visit me and it’s a really neat store that Amelia finds fascinating). I’m going to have to get another tank, preferably one that, if not identical, is compatible with the heater, filter, and air pump I already own. Hopefully Cameron will be in to help and instruct me on the best way to transfer my sixteen lovely water creatures safely.

A Busy Weekend

My radio silence started more than a week ago, when I teased a busy wedding weekend and then disappeared. Well, Friday we went up to Chicago for the wedding, which was just perfect as it brought together all our dearest friends, who’ve all scattered across the country while we have settled comfortably down to stay right next to our alma mater. Then Sunday, Amelia and I accompanied Neal to Indianapolis to watch him ref soccer, and we all got to have a fabulous meal with my aunt Wendy and her family! Hannah is so sweet and cute and just loves her little cousin (and silly songs about turtles, apparently).

Followed By A Busy Week

Heidi attempts to pose with an over-excited Mario for a picture by her mom Sondra.

My very dear friend and colleague Heidi, having recently finished her Master’s degree, made the difficult decision to turn down the full-time  job offer she received at the Press in order to move back to Dallas, where her family lives. I will miss her loads, but I can’t argue with her reasons.  We dedicated most of last week to sending her off in style, with help packing, dog-sitting, a farewell dinner (at the very beginning of the week to accommodate Neal’s crazy busy evenings last week), and most importantly, saying goodbye to her home in Indiana with a long-overdue hiking expedition at Shades State Park.

Last One Standing

Because let’s face it, nothing is as relaxing as time with Daddy.

Oh, right, and Neal has been mildly but tediously ill for the past couple of weeks. I didn’t take it very seriously because it’s allergy season, and he didn’t sound very sick, but now I’m sick. Friday was the worst, with a fever that shot up to 103 overnight and took until mid-afternoon Saturday (after an urgent care trip and an antibiotic prescription) to break. And then Sunday it became apparent that I wasn’t just sick with mastitis; I’ve caught Neal’s nasty little bug too. A bug I had fervently hoped was just allergies and man-cold is really awful. Neal was fantastic at taking care of me and Amelia over the weekend, so much so that I don’t think she had a chance of noticing there was anything up with mommy . . . just loads of fun hanging out with Daddy. Today, however, she might notice, as she is just heavy and exhausting to carry around and she’s stuck with me.

Mom and I had talked last week about whether I needed to try to deliberately encourage the baby to be more willing to spend time entertaining herself. Well, it’s going to happen, because I have energy to change her and feed her and that’s about it. Plus if I cuddle too much I’ll just get her sick too and then we’d all be tired and miserable instead of just the grown-ups.

The Show Goes On

We’ve done some other busy things too, the most important and positive of which was setting up a solution to my entryway woes. It still needs a couple of final details, currently being held up by me being sick, mostly, because going to Staples sounds miserable today, but I’ll take pictures and share everything with you soon.

Neal also installed my beautiful Mother’s Day clothesline in the backyard Saturday, and then when the concrete was set up Sunday and ready to go it rained like mad so I still don’t get to show it off. But that’s coming as well.


2 thoughts on “Head Above Water

  1. The internet says that patching a tank is kind of chancy, and that it’s especially difficult in a tank with black frames around the bottom because the whole thing has to be disassembled. Apparently it’s better to just replace a small tank.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s